Monday, March 21, 2011

Lexical Analysis of Dum maro dum song



Brain, My poor brain which was already in the shocked state after all those munnis and shielas was actually expecting Deepika in Kat’s shoe ( Deepika tries to follow kat in many things). Then on one faithful day I got opportunity to listen title track of Dum Maro Dum  movie. And I hereby also declare that this post is not at all about the length of the skirt (???) of Deepika Padukone. I mean is that piece of cloth was fit enough to called as Skirt or mini skirt or micro skirt. I demand a new name for that thing.
Coming back to the song, I initially thought some DJ got highly drunk and mixed classical cult song Dum Maro Dum. But I was as wrong as any love message from that Star News’ Sansani guy. It was properly raped ooops i mean properly written and composed song. Then I read its lyrics to clear my doubts and trust me I am totally thankful to the lyricist for such a meaningful and classical lyric. I mean who is going to cover toilet and skirt and society in a same song. I mean I am highly impressed with the thought.
Now I tried to understand mood of lyricist Jaideep Sahni. I tried to think alike him. I tried to understand his position when he was phrasing that particular line. Let me try it now :

SONG: Hey..kya phir dekh raha hai
Meaning : the person might be trying to look at hot girl but girl was not ready for that Imraan Hashmi look. So she tried to warn him before anything could happen.
Song: Aaj aankhen sek raha hai kal haath sekega
Meaning: Now girl is reminding him about the OFFICAL one-thing-to-do-daily-on-earth-before-death. I mean how insightful the words are. The lyricist might be sitting at some bar and trying to hit some random girl and when everything was going as per his wish the girl turned out to be prostitute , thats why haath sekna and all.
Song: Aaj dheel chod raha hai kal khud hi tokega
Meaning: once again brilliant piece of writing. Here he is talking about addiction of things. How? See aaj dheel chod raha hai  means guy is missing an opportunity ( read girls). Obviously in the age of skewed sex ratio, only a fool could do that. Thats why he has mentioned Kal khud hi tokega. Obviously a person will regret after previous sinful activity .
Song: Aaj mere liye chair kheech raha hai kal meri skirt kheechega. Kheechega ki nahi ?
Meaning: Obviously Chair Khichna  for girls comes in good etiquettes of boys, but once again lyricist gave a good thought to it. Why anyone would does chair khichna act? Obviously for a purpose. And in next line he has mentioned the purpose. [parental advisory , explicit  content] Unfortunately I am not going to give my insightful thoughts about later part. Use your own imaginations :D
Song: Akkad bakkad bambay bo, Assi nabbe poore sau
Meaning: this line is  to give a nostalgic feeling to the song. I hope Thakrey scion will not mind highly controversial word BAMBAY.
Song: Sau rupeya ka dum jo lu, do sau ghum ho jaye udan chu
Meaning: though this line should not be there in the song as it is talking about smoking. But even in this case lyricist has tried to show his gyan. Like when you smoke a puff of 100 rs dum ( ganjha would be proper word) , you waive off your 200 ghums. A ghum could be anything but for a moment you don’t give a damn to that ghum.
Song: (phir kyun main tu kar reh tain tu)
Meaning: when I initially heard this song, i thought last word is TATTOO but once again jaydeep sahib proved me wrong. It is only about tain tu . now don’t ask me what the hell is this.
Song: Unche se uncha banda, potty pe baithe nanga
Meaning: Now this is the best line of this song. I mean what a choice of words. What a location described. I have just become a fan of Jaydeep sir after this line.  I am deadly sure lyricist was sitting in toilet trying to relieve him. But i think he doesn’t believe in wasting time so he started thinking something. Then he saw his reflection in mirror and thought why should not he use his own condition in the song. He gave a thought because it could be unethical to talk about toilet in song but then he thought why not. And the rest is history and this has become the best line ever written in the history of bollywood lyrics.
Song: Phir kaahe ki society, saali kaahe ka paakhanda
Meaning: in previous line he just broke the trend of society , so it was quite obvious to write something about society in next line. Obviously not using potty,susu etc words in song is pakhanda of society, but jaydeep has just broke that pakhanda and cleared a way for all other lyricists.
Song: Bheje se kaleje se, kalaje ke kalaje se
Meaning: Finally he told which body organ he used to think this song. No one could use bheja ( brain) to write such a master-piece. So it was Kaleja or might be kaleja ka kaleja ( don’t know if such thing even exist) which he used in writing this song.
Remaining song is copied from cult classic Dum maro Dum song. So it would be useless to talk about that now. I hope you all will also imagine the condition of lyricist whenever you next listen this song.


6 comments:

  1. interesting investigation & analysis. u know wot im more amazed at...the TIME u actually employed in this piece!! U'd or I'd rather have slept(samay ki izzat karo!) ;) anyways, this song deserves some praise...for those lyrics- tht particular LINE and for the original song Dum Maaro Dum...too catchy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha.. awesome dude..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL

    achee se peelay ho bey....I was so f pissed off wid lyrics......atleast dey shud hv left original song....all in all DISASTROUS and evn deepika's skirt cudnnt save it

    ReplyDelete
  4. u caught the right feel of the song...
    Wish this blog will go to the song writer...wanna see his reaction on it.

    ReplyDelete